Below are two exciting opportunities for students over the summer!
Lights Out Poster Contest
Three student winners (one from each level, elementary, middle and high school) will be selected to have their creation sent out to participating schools next year. The winning posters will be the face of the project in schools across Canada and seen by 170 000 students and teachers. Winners and their schools will also be featured on the Lights Out Canada website. The contest winners’ schools will receive a full set of laminated colour posters. The contest will conclude on September 15, 2011, so students have 3 months to create and submit their posters!
Eligible posters will meet the following criteria:
- 8.5″x11″ paper size (poster must be within printable margins)
- Scanned and submitted in high resolution to email@example.com by September 15, 2011
- Colourful submissions are welcome!
- Must contain the following text: “Lights Out Canada”, “Turn off the lights and switch on education about climate change” “www.lightsoutcanada.org” and “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Suggestions for other content: energy saving tips, climate change facts, or images representing sustainability, etc.
- Can be designed by hand, using multimedia textiles or recycled materials (though keep in mind, it must be scanned to be submitted), or created on a computer.
- Must be original design
- Name of student, student’s email, name of school and school contact information should be submitted along with poster but not on the poster itself
A poster template for elementary level students is available upon request and any questions can be submitted to email@example.com.
Lights Out Provincial Ambassadors
We are looking for passionate, engaged youth to represent Lights Out through the Provincial Ambassador Program. Being a “Provincial Ambassador” involves taking on a leadership role in organizing the project on a regional or provincial level. We provide Provincial Ambassadors with all of the training, tools and materials necessary to successfully coordinate the project. If you of know any students at your school or in your community that may be interested in applying to be a Lights Out Provincial Ambassador, please pass along this link: http://bit.ly/g64DTF which outlines the position and how to apply.